It’s nice to take a trip down memory lane isn’t it? A bit of nostalgia feels good. It brings back happy memories, takes you back to another time and place, and fills you with a lovely content feeling. For this reason, I’ve decided to start a series of posts called:
“I remember when …”
and the ‘…’ will be replaced with words that will differ from post to post. This post though is a little different in that it sets the scene for the year of my birth – 1964. Of course I don’t remember anything from this year but it’s so interesting isn’t it to get a good feel of the year of your birth and be aware of what was occurring at that time?
People Born in 1964
- Dan Brown, Novelist, The De Vinci Code – 22 June 1964
- Sandra Bullock, Actress, The Lake House – 26 July 1964
- Nicolas Cage, Actor, Moonstruck – 7 January 1964
- Tracy Chapman, Singer, Fast Car – 30 March 1964
- Courteney Cox, Actress (Monica on Friends) – 15 June 1964
- Russell Crowe, Actor, A Beautiful Mind – 7 April 1964
- Matt Dillon, Actor, Drugstore Cowboy – 18 February 1964
- Prince Edward, ROYALTY, The Earl of Wessex – 10 March 1964
- Calista Flockhart, Actress, Ally McBeal – 11 November 1964
- Melinda Gates – Philanthropist – Married to Bill Gates – 15 August 1964
- Melissa Gilbert – Actress – Little House on the Prairie – 8 May 1964
- Wynonna Judd, Country Musician – 30 May 1964
- Lenny Kravitz, Musician, Wants to fly away yeah – 26 May 1964
- Courtney Love, Singer (Curt Cobain’s widow) – 9 July 1964
- Rob Lowe, Actor, Brat-packer, Sam on The West Wing – 17 March 1964
- Michelle Obama, Former USA First Lady, Wife of Barack Obama – 17 January 1964
- Keanu Reeves, Actor, Dude – 2 September 1964
- And then there is MY birthday – 31 May 1964
As you can see, 1964 was a very good year as I was born into it along with a lot of other awesome people and of course these are but a few!
A selection of events that occurred during 1964
- 29 January to 9 February – The Winter Olympic Games are held in Innsbruck, Austria.
- 3 February – The first double-decker carriages begin trial runs on the Sydney rail network.
- 4 February – Cyclone Dora strikes north-west Queensland.
- 14 March – Jack Ruby is convicted of the murder of Lee Harvey Oswald, the alleged assassin of President Kennedy.
- 15 March – Elizabeth Taylor married Richard Burton for the first time in Montreal.
- June – Macquarie University is founded.
- 12 June – Nelson Mandela and seven others are sentenced on June 12th to life imprisonment in South Africa.
- 12–30 June – The Beatles tour Australia and New Zealand.
- 2 July – The Civil Rights Act of 1964 is signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson.
- 6 July – Warrant Officer Class 2, Kevin Conway of the Australian Army Training Team died; he was Australia’s first Vietnam War battle casualty.
- August – Three North Vietnamese torpedo boats attack the US Destroyer Maddox in the Gulf of Tonkin. US Congress authorizes war against North Vietnam Gulf of Tonkin Resolution.
- August – South Africa are barred from the Olympic Games in Tokyo due to their Apartheid Policies.
- 21 September – Malta gains independence from the UK.
- 27 September – Warren Commission report on the assassination of President John F. Kennedy concludes Lee Harvey Oswald had acted alone.
- 10 – 24 October – The Summer Olympics are held in Tokyo, Japan.
- 14 October – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr receives the Nobel Peace Prize.
- 27 October – The Boston Strangler Albert DeSalvo is captured.
- 10 November – Prime Minister Robert Menzies announces the reintroduction of National Service.
- 28 November – The Mariner 4 spacecraft is launched by NASA.
- 10 December – The Queensland government declares a state of emergency in an attempt to end the Mount Isa Mines dispute.
- 16 December – Melbourne’s La Trobe University is founded.
- Swimmer Dawn Fraser is named Australian of the Year.
As you can see, it was a busy year with quite a few iconic events and the list above does not include them all!
Fashion in 1964
Here’s a slideshow gallery of pics, including some of my favourite celebrities, that provide a taste of 1964 fashion trends.
Top 5 most popular movies
- Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
- A Shot in the Dark
- Mary Poppins
- My Fair Lady
My ‘Remember When … ‘ posts will be ad hoc – whenever the mood takes me. Better to be a bit spontaneous and free than structured and caged I say! Stay tuned for some trips down memory lane, that will probably cover the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s.
Were you born in the 1960’s too? Are you a fellow 1964’er?
Ciao for now,
Link up here at WOTM or with another of us in the Lovin’ Life Linky team:
Leanne of Deep Fried Fruit
Lyndall of Seize the Day Project
Kathy of 50 Shades of Age
and Jo of And Anyways
It doesn’t matter where you link up as it will magically appear on all five blogs.